Three Linux Operating Systems in One Computer (Is it possible?)

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Sep 18 17:03:33 UTC 2006

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>> Hard Disk 1 19.42GiB IDE
>>  /dev/hda1    Extended-3        /                 6.11GiB     Primary   Boot
>>  /dev/hda7    Memory swap                      1.10GiB     Logical
>>  /dev/hda6    Extended-3       /edubuntu     6.11GiB     Logical
>>  /dev/hda5    Extended-3       /redhat         6.11GiB     Logical
>>
>> Hard Disk 2 76.69GiB SATA
>>  /dev/sda1    Windows NTFS    /media/sda1    14.75GiB    Primary    Boot
>>  /dev/sda5    Windows NTFS    /media/sda5    16.70GiB    Logical
>>  /dev/sda6    Windows NTFS    /media/sda6    16.70GiB    Logical
>>  /dev/sda7    Windows NTFS    /media/sda7    16.70GiB    Logical
>>  /dev/sda8    Windows NTFS    /media/sda8    11.84GiB    Logical
>
> Wht don't you use LVM (Logical Volume Manager) instead of some many
> partitions? The advantages of LVM are the following:

As the op is a newcomer to linux and I guess with a busy life I would
not suggest lvm at this stage. I am not an expert although using linux
3 years, and I have a demo pc with xp and about 6 linux distros on it
- about a dozen partitions on a single hd 120GB.  Many distros use the
grub boot loader and ubuntu and most others integrate this elegantly
at each install. Ubuntu family all use the *U*buntu kernel I think so
that the grub loader menu indicates also the partition in addition to
just ubuntu for example.  All the installs have their own non lvm
partitions, and yes the management might be easier with lvm. I will be
finding out about that when I have the spare weekend I have been
promising myself.......

A lilo based install such as pclinuxos can be chain load booted in the
same menu but I only know how to do that from a suse install which is
a good gui. I do not expect it will be difficult anyway.

As mentioned in other responses, the same swap partition  may be used
by all the distros. I have not become aware of any complications.

--
ac