How do I correct FSTAB?

Dan layman at straitsarea.com
Mon Sep 18 14:39:22 UTC 2006

> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda3 / ext3
> nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
> /dev/hda1 / ext3

Actually, if I am reading this right, what you want to do add the original
installation back into grub. Usually when you do a new install it installs
its own boot manager, sometimes not auto adding other Linux installations.

>From what i see in your fstab file you are trying two mount to / "root"
partitions. I don't think this is going to work very well.

First, remove the part of the fstab file that you copied from first
installation. ie undo what you did to try and fix it.

Second, edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the entry for the first
installation. You could copy this from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file that
resides on your first installation. It should look something like this

title ubuntu <version>
kernel xxxxxx
initrd xxxxxx

Just copy that entry over to the menu.lst file on the newest installation
right below the entrys that are already there. Being very careful not to
overwrite any info already in there. . :)

Now when you reboot, you should have a selection of which ubuntu(Linux)
install you wish to boot to.

I hope this is some help.  DAN