*****SPAM***** How do I correct FSTAB?

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Mon Sep 18 14:14:40 UTC 2006

Ted Quick wrote:
> I just installed Kubuntu Edgy in a partition that had my first (somewhat flawed) copy of Kubuntu
> Dapper in it. I have another (better working) copy of Dapper in a different partition.
>
> Now I can start the new Edgy partition, but have no way to start the earlier Dapper partition
> since it doesn't appear in the new fstab file. I tried editing the fstab file in Edgy by copying
> the Dapper fstab into it.
>
> THEN all I got for a while was a terminal screen when I tried booting up. Seemed to stop there,
> but then this morning I just waited and it finally loaded the EDGY gui.
>
> So right now the Egdy fstab file reads:
>

> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda3 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
> /dev/hda1 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
> /dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
>
> #Added by diskmounter utility
> /dev/hdc1 /media/hdc1 vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0
> #Added by diskmounter utility
> /dev/hdc5 /media/hdc5 vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0
>
> This is a direct copy of the earlier Dapper file. Dapper is on hda3, Edgy on hda1 BTW.
>
> I also tried to change the Active partition using Qparted, at whichpoint it stopped booting up as
> easily.
>
> HOW do I change the FSTAB file to get the 3 way boot capability that I had before back?
>

> Ted Quick
> Need a website? Look at: http://www.rqh-webhosting.com/

GRUB is responsible for booting the OS, don't change fstab file! You
should see dapper in the GRUB boot menu. Just choose the OS you like to
boot. If you don't see dapper /boot/grub/menu.lst is the file to add
dapper. Search the list archive and you will find plenty of grub
configuration examples or check the man page.

Regards, Thomas