"automatic" updates not working?

Richard Brown rich at cregy.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 09:04:47 UTC 2006

Hi

On Monday 18 September 2006 02:52, Jeff wrote:
> Thanks!!!
I am going to stick my neck out on this one! What equipment are you using for
internet access please?

Why you might ask? I have recently had the same problem. I could connect to
the internet but couldn't get apt-get to work. I was connecting through a
router/modem and a d-link switch. Whatever I did it wouldn't work. Then I
discovered that either the switch or router was mucking me about. So I got a
netgear ng834g and all is fine. It seems the switch or the router was
fiddling with dns settings. Take a look at these settings. You might want to
create a static ip address rather than use dhcp.

Hope this helps.

Rich

P.S. The story gets more bewildering when I tell you my Mac was connecting
fine - it was only apt-get effected by the switch/router thing - go figure -
I can't!