Autorun a CD, autorun.inf

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Sat Sep 16 20:40:38 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 20:46 +0100, Sameera Shaakunthala wrote:
> Hi,
> In Windows OS, when writing data CDs , we can specify an executable
> file to be run automatically, when the CD is inserted to the drive.
> This is usually done by editing the 'autorun.ini' file.
> How can I do this for Ubuntu?
> How could I specify an executable (bin) file to be run automatically
> when the CD is inserted to a computer which runs Ubuntu?
>         Shaakunthala

In the Removable Drives and Media Preferences dialog (under
System/Preferences), you'll find an option to "Auto-run programs on new
drives and media". I believe the setting is Off by default.

The files that would be autorun are named ".autorun" "autorun" or
"autorun.sh", but this can be configured in gconf-editor under the
desktop/gnome/volume-manager configuration group.

Note that if the CD is mounted as "noexec" (a common option), the
executables won't be runnable and this will fail, even if autorun is
enabled.

FYI: I've never used this, so I don't know if it even works at all, but
I have been aware of its existence.

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>