From CRT to LCD

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Sat Sep 16 16:10:27 UTC 2006

> From: dethadol <dethadol at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: From CRT to LCD
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support,	not for general
> discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

Hi Dethadol,

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 03:11:53 +0100
ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> <snip>
> >> Thanks that is brilliant. Is there any reason for using 3d
> >> hardware-accelerated even if I don't use it please?
> >
> > games, video playing, video rendering CAD design and other
> > graphics intensive operations all benefit from 3D
> > acceleration. If you use these kind of applications, then
> > try the closed source drivers and see if the benefit is
> > worth it.
> </snip>
>
> Sorry to show my ignorance but can anyone explain why 3D accel
> is needed for video playing please?

Actually it is not strictly needed, but it will probably help
and lessen the burden on your cpu, I think.

However on my
destop, I can playback videos from dvd/cd and other sources
without any problem AND without having any trace of 3d
acceleration enabled. Admittedly, I never
managed to get my ati 9200 working in accellerated mode and
I simply gave up on this.

So you are not ignorant and it is never ignorant to ask
questions.

regards
Eberhard