replaced NIC, now no network

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Sep 14 13:34:43 UTC 2006

On 06/09/13 21:33 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata apparently typed:

> I disabled the onboard eth0 NIC and installed a PCI NIC. On reboot,
> Etch, Xandros and Knoppix all figured out how to use the new device
> instead of the old one. In Kubuntu I now have no network.
> /etc/network/interfaces remains untouched since before the swap, making
> no direct reference to the hardware device.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/networking.html doesn't
> address much of anything. In system settings -> network settings there
> is a disabled eth1 and no eth0, and no apparent way to remove the bogus
> device or add and configure the new eth0. How do I solve this in 6.06?

After writing the above I shut down for the night. On booting back up
this AM to follow the advice given in reponse, I found:

1-eth0 is working
2-eth1 is gone from network settings
3-no changes to network-relevant config files in /etc

Thanks to those who responded.
--
"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you
have, get understanding. Esteem her, and she will exalt you;

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409