From CRT to LCD

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Sep 14 12:40:52 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 14:19, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi David and Luca
>
> On Thursday 14 September 2006 13:08, David Satchell wrote:
> > This can be done by going to System > Preferences > Screen
> > Resolution and changing the boxes. For best results, select
> > a resolution that is closest to your LCD's "native
> > resolution". This will be listed somewhere in the documents
> > that came with it.
>
> Thanks for the replies. I went to System Settings - Display
> and discovered that my graphics card is set to be vesa.
> However, I have a Nvidea GeForce 6100+ nForce 410. However
> there are no settings under Nvidea like this. Is there
> somewhere where I can download the correct drivers please? I
> presume once I do this I might be able to setup my display
> correctly. The display is a Yusmart 198yp.

You don't need to download a driver - this ain't windows and all
drivers come with the kernel anyway. For regular 2D-only usage,
select the nVidia driver. If you want hardware-accelerated 3D
you need to use the closed-source nVidia drivers. There is a
repository where these are kept, you need to enable it and
install the relevant package. Go to the Ubuntu wiki and search
for "closed source nVidia", you will find complete instructions
there

alan