Printercap

Roland Turcan - RoTurSoft konf at rotursoft.sk
Wed Sep 13 11:51:28 UTC 2006

Hello Ubuntu users mailgroup,

Our application (written in Kylix 3) uses /etc/printcap to read out
information about installed printers.

But I have seen, that if I make any change in printer control panel,
then of course /etc/cups/printer.conf is changed, but /etc/printercap is
changed only after cups daemon restarts. I have compared SuSE, where
they restart cups daemon immediately after committing any changes among
printers.

So, if customer makes any change in printer control panel, until he
restarts a computer or cups daemon, then our software cannot distinguish
any change among installed printers. Secondly, if he makes any change on
already installed printers which should change in /etc/printercap, then
our software is not able to get actual settings.

Is it a purpose, or a bug?

Thanks.

Greetings, TRoland.