noob on slapd with sasl errors

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 17:06:18 UTC 2006

If I may share advice based on my own trials & tribulations with LDAP
authentication:

You've just hit on a major issue.  LDAP is a a critical technology for
people who need network authentication and the current state of
documentation for implementing it is depressing.  Partly the problem
lies in the fact that it is difficult to set bounds around what LDAP
does/doesn't/can/can't provide.  Although frequently discussed in the
context of network authentication, LDAP really is just a protocol used
to access a directory of information over a network.  In the context
of network authentication, the directory contains information about
users, credentials (passwords), etc.  However the directory can be
anything--address book, whatever.

With regards to implementing an LDAP-based network authentication
system, there is a lot of mixed, confilicting information out there.
Much of it tends to be specific to the author's situation.  You really
have to sort through it and experiment a few times to get a handle on
how the whole thing works to get a feel for what information to
discard and what to keep.

Here's some LDAP information on the Debian wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/LDAPAuthentication

Be warned it's a mess--mostly a collection of resources.  It's
anything but a walkthrough.

Also, O'Reilly's Linux Server Hacks Volume 2 (http://tinyurl.com/h9nsq
-- not sure if it's available in Germany/Deutsch) has a chapter on
using LDAP for Network Authentication.  I haven't tried implementing
it from that book, but it looks pretty good.  It may be worth browsing
at a bookstore to see if it looks helpful.

Based on my experience, I would make the following recommendations:

*Start with a fresh system.  Migrating user/group accounts is
possible, but more complicated
*Get LDAP going first, then fuss with SSL/TLS
*Work with a couple of sacrificial machines, rather than production
systems.  If you can't spare the machines, give VMWare Server a try.
It's free, and Ubuntu runs well on it.
*Be willing to start over multiple times.
*When you're configuring slapd, make sure you understand all
directives you're using.  *Even if that means running down an
explanation one directive at a time.  Every directive exists for a
reason.  What applies to one person's situation may not apply to
yours.  Only when you understand each and every line in your
slapd.conf can you achieve true Zen.

LDAP authentication really isn't all that hard.  It's just that you
have to have a working vocabulary to make sense of most of the
documentation out there.  You have to get your hands dirty and break
it a few times in order to build a vocabulary.

Good luck