an awful problem, disc space is disappearing

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue Sep 12 16:15:51 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 00:14, Gabriel M Dragffy wrote:
> This morning my root partition was 6gb large and had 49% free
> space. This evening I was trying to install the game supertux
> and found there was no disc space. I'm using a simple desktop
> installation. I have apache and proftp installed and running
> but a firewall blocks remote connections to them. Something
> just ate about 3gb in one day and I didn't do anything to
> warrant that. Furthermore only yesterday I had the same
> problem but I put it down to a power failure, I ended up
> deleting all my LVs, my PV, VG and the partition and
> restoring.  How do I find out where my 3GB went? And then
> find what took it and why?

As someone else replied, it's probably logs.

du -sh /var/log/*
will tell you how big the log stuff is. If it's not that,
run 'df-h' to see which partition is full, then recursively run
du -sh on the big directories to nail down where all the data
got to.

In short, there's no one-shot answer, you need to look and drill
down to find the answer

alan