howmany partitions per disk possible?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue Sep 12 07:55:55 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 09:21, Tony Arnold wrote:
> > > which contains two
> > > logical partitions, hda5 and hda6. Seems a bit strange to
> > > me.
> >
> > Not really. Why does it seem strange to you? It seems to be
> > very normal to me.
>
> Really? Maybe it's me! If I partition a disk, I tend to
> create the first three primaries and the fourth as an
> extended and then put logicals inside the extended. That
> seems the logical way to proceed. But as others have pointed
> out, Linux works however the partitions are set up.

It's more a case of what most folk tend to do rather than what
is "right" or "proper". I habitually have three primaries
for /boot, swap and / plus an extended for everything else -
but that's just me.

There is only one rule - there must be at least one entry for
one of the first four in the partition table. Everything else
is opinion, habit or personal point of view but not rigorous
rules.

alan