Ubuntu (Dapper), IBM T30 and "unauthorized network card"

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Sep 12 06:23:08 UTC 2006

Hi there.

I just installed Dapper 6.06.1 from scratch on my Thinkpad T30.

Everything went swimmingly, until I rebooted. On reboot, before even
GRUB appeared, the laptop beeped twice and this message appeared:

ERROR
1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the
miniPCI network card

What?!?! The card is the original supplied-with-the-machine card. This
happened immediately after installing Ubuntu. The whole machine,
including wireless interface, was working fine immediately before the
install.

Looking around on the web shows several ways to get around this problem,
but none are simple (except, obviously, removing the miniPCI card).

Just in case it was some kind of weird internal state, I powered the
laptop off and removed the battery for five minutes before trying
another boot. Nope, same message.

So two big questions:
- has any one seen this happen before with Ubuntu?
- are there any straightforward solutions?

And obviously if this WAS caused by the Dapper install (some kind of
hardware probe perhaps?), it needs to be fixed pronto!

regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)