Error in hibernate script

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Sep 11 16:38:29 UTC 2006

When running /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh, I get the following, although I
don;t think it happens every time.

$ sudo /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
Password:
  * Shutting down ALSA...
   [ ok ]
/etc/acpi/hibernate.sh: line 28: echo: write error: Cannot allocate memory
Laptop mode disabled, not active.
Function not supported
Calling INT 0x15 (F000:F859)
  EAX is 0x5F65
  * Setting up ALSA...
   [ ok ]
grep: /proc/acpi/fan/*/state: No such file or directory
xscreensaver-command: not active: idle timer reset.

$

Line 28 of the hibernate.sh script is:

echo -n "disk" >/sys/power/state

The result is that the machine does not hibernate, but just returns to
normal operation.

This is a Dell Latitude C.400 laptop running Xubuntu 6.06.1 with all
available updates.

Any ideas anyone, or is it a bug? I've seen a posting with a similar
problem but in that case the user had no swap file. I have a swap file
that is twice as big as physical memory.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold