different default apache directory

Dieter Schicker dieter.schicker at uni-graz.at
Mon Sep 11 04:50:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 11:07 +0100, Gabriel M Dragffy wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 19:48 +0200, Dieter Schicker wrote:
> > If you are using Apache2, have a look in
> > "/etc/apache2/sites-available/default" and change the "DocumentRoot"
> > entry according to your needs. Then restart Apache:
> > sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart.
> >
> > Hope that helps
> > Dieter
> >

> Hi thanks for that, i never would have found it.

Well, first thing you should do when installing a new daemon is to
investigate the /etc directory. Most of them have their configuration
files there.

> I was following
> instructions from the rather excellent ubuntuguide.org and it told me
> to:
> 	gksudo gedit /etc/apache2/conf.d/alias
>
> 	Alias / /home/ftp/public_html/
>
> 	<Directory /home/ftp/public_html/>
> 	  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>  	 AllowOverride All
>  	 Order allow,deny
>  	 Allow from all
> 	</Directory>
>
> Then restart apache, but it was throwing up some errors about a bad
> alias.

I'm not sure but probably you can't set an alias on / . And it makes no
sense either. The DocumentRoot entry is your friend.

>From http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_alias.html#alias :

"The Alias directive allows documents to be stored in the local
filesystem other than under the DocumentRoot."
           ^^^^^
Cheers
Dieter