Thanks to Todd Slater & Brian McKee

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 10 22:16:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 04:42:14PM +0100, Gabriel M Dragffy wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 13:58 +1000, Ken McLennan wrote:
> > 	My mutt setup is working fine, but Postfix hates me. It's sending my
> > emails out, but they aren't arriving anywhere. Hence I'll continue with
> > Evolution until I get it sorted out. Either that, or I'll get so annoyed
> > with Postfix that I'll just keep using Evolution anyway =).
>
> I'm sorry this reply is really quite off topic and I'm not sure weather
> to bother with a new thread. Anyway something is really annoying me, I
> seem to hear so much about Mutt and something like postfix, it seems to
> be very common. This craze is just passing me by. Please would someone
> kindly explain to me what mutt+postfix or + courier actually is (the
> synaptic descriptions didn't enlighten me much), and also why it is so
> good and popular. Maybe I can also use this??

Mutt is text mode only and that is the reason I use it. I spend a lot of
time on the road. I tried all the various GUI mailers but most are dog slow
through an ssh connection. Mutt is blazingly fast even on a 1200 bps
connection on crappy lines (depending on the size of your mail folders, of
course). I ssh to my box and fire up mutt to do my mail. BTW, I use ssmtp
to send and fetchmail+procmail to receive and drop the mail into my Mail
folders. I use maildir format where every mail is treated as a separate
file. Works For Me.

Jack