Installing Tarballs

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Sat Sep 9 13:51:11 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 09:01:41AM -0400, David McCormick wrote:
> I have tried to install several tarballs
OK; which tarballs, and why are you not using the package repositories?

>  and keep getting the error message that gcc compiler is not
>  installed.
What do the commands:
gcc --version
and:
dpkg -l build-essential
give you as output?

> I have both Gnome and KDE compilers installed.
Neither of those are compilers.

> I am new to Ubuntu but have used Red Hat and Fedora Core for years. is
> there something different in Ubuntu in the way you install software?

Yes and no. For the most part all of those systems prefer software to be
installed via the package manager rather than from source. Ubuntu uses a
different package manager from RH/Fedora, but the concepts are mostly
the same. Building from source, however, works in virtually the same way
on any normal Linux system.

Some more specificity about what you're trying to build, why, and
exactly what errors you are getting after executing precisely which
commands would be useful.

Ewan