Make Java work. How?

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Fri Sep 8 20:54:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 05:00 +0000, Herman wrote:
> I need to install JAVA.
> Do I?
> Synaptic tells me that many Java packages are installed.
>
> If I have a webpage that needs Java, it wants to install Java.
>  (the plug-in tries to install JRE, Java Runtime Environment)
>
> I use Ubunti 6.06, default installation.
>

> I tried it out on this website: (and it does not work)
> Java Morse Code Translator
> http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html
>
> How do I get Java to work for me?

Don't bother downloading java from Sun. The packages are available in
synaptic.

Just install the sun-java5-jre and sun-java5-plugin packages.

After this, you may need to incant this on the command line:
sudo update-java-alternatives --jre --plugin -s java-1.5.0-sun

In firefox, if you want to see what plugins are availble, browse to the
location "about:plugins"

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>