Upgrading Ubuntu when new CDs available

Justin Gallardo gallardj at onid.orst.edu
Fri Sep 8 18:16:48 UTC 2006

Sameera Shaakunthala wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> One of my friends has a computer which runs Ubuntu 5.10.
>
> Is it possible to install (or upgrade to) Ubuntu 6.06 without altering
> installed applications, settings, saved passwords, personal profiles,
> preferences set by applications and etc.? (updating ubuntu using the CD)
>
> * Shaakunthala

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

I would think that you could use the update application. If I remember
correctly, it will let you know that you have a new distribution that
you can upgrade to. As for using the cd, maybe you could do some fancy
reworking of /etc/apt/sources.list to look at the repos on the CD before
it goes out to the web. Let me know if I am not on the right track.

--
Justin Gallardo
gallardj at onid.orst.edu