broadband connection

Nikhil Nadig nikhilnadig at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 04:17:55 UTC 2006

On 9/7/06, Ravi Shankar Natarajan <umankar98 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sir
> I am having a acer travelmate 4151nlci laptop. Earlier i was using fc4.
> Recently i migrated to ubuntu 6.06 lts. Earlier, i was able to connect to
> internet using broadband connection with fc4. Now, I am unable to connect.
> The ethernet controller is Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100 BASE-TX(REV
> 02).
> I am getting the following message when i type sudo pppoeconf on the
> terminal
> "Sorry, I scanned 2 interfaces, but the access cocentraor of your provider
> did not respond. Please check your network and modem cables. Another reason
> for the scan failure may also bhe another running pppoe process which
> controls the modem."
> My email id is umankar98 at yahoo.com.

Try sudo poff -a to stop other running pppoe process.
Goto System>Administration>Networking and see if the eth0 is active,
Deactivate all other connections including the wireless one.
Click on the Ethernet connection (Properties) tab and, in the
interface properties, enter the connection settings -
Configuration : Static Ip address
IP address : 192.168.1.3 (assuming your wireless connection is default)
Subnet mask: (it fills up automatically when you click there)
Gateway address : 192.168.1.1
you can also enter the DNS given by your service provider.

Try sudo pppoeconf and it should work. . .