View/edit Root user's files in GUI
shaakunthala at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 16:14:55 UTC 2006
View root user's documents with File Browser
Normally, the root user can not log in using Ubuntu's GUI and can not view files using the File Browser. They have to use the recovery mode. I find this annoying. So I do the following.
* Start the Terminal.
* Press F11 if the Terminal is in full screen mode.
* Type 'sudo bash' and press enter.
* Type 'nautilus' and press enter.
* Wait about 3-5 seconds. File Browser will appear.
* Now I see the root user's Home folder, files and the Desktop folder.
That's it. I get some of the administrative rights by doing this.
Sometimes I edit the grub boot loader by doing this because this procedure is easier than the recovery mode.
Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ubuntu-users