Cannot ping outside university

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Tue Sep 5 00:07:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 18:10 +0100, David wrote:
> About fie weeks ago I installed Dapper on a Dell Inspiron 6000
> laptop. Everything was going great, I configured the eth0 interface to
> get onto the university network and I could connect to Ubuntu
> repositories and I downloaded various software eg. GRASS, R etc.
>
> Then some days later I lost the internet connection. I do not know
> why. I can still ping my PC and the PC can still ping the laptop. But
> the laptop cannot ping websites or repos.
>
> To make matters worse, we need this sorted within the next 24 hours!
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> dave

You might want to look in to DNS as a culprit? What are the DNS servers
used on the PC? What are they on your laptop? Usually
under /etc/resolv.conf   and perhaps listed in /etc/network/interfaces
Also universities may use some kind of proxy system, is yours setup OK
to cope with it? Is it possible the university changed it's system in
someway recently?