Cannot ping outside university

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Sep 4 16:51:51 UTC 2006

David,

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 18:10 +0100, David wrote:
> About fie weeks ago I installed Dapper on a Dell Inspiron 6000
> laptop. Everything was going great, I configured the eth0 interface to
> get onto the university network and I could connect to Ubuntu
> repositories and I downloaded various software eg. GRASS, R etc.
>
> Then some days later I lost the internet connection. I do not know
> why. I can still ping my PC and the PC can still ping the laptop. But
> the laptop cannot ping websites or repos.
>
> To make matters worse, we need this sorted within the next 24 hours!
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could try using tracepath to some external IP address. It will show
you all the routers the traffic has to go through and will tell you
where the blockage is occurring.

Having said that I would look at your default route settings. If you PC
and your laptop are on the same IP network, the default route won't
matter, but it will when trying to reach some other IP network.

The command 'netstat -r' (no quotes) will tell you the routing details.
Posting the output here along with the output from 'ifconfig eth0' might
be useful.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold