swapping LVs about

ruscook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 4 08:37:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 21:53 +0100, Gabriel M Dragffy wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 20:22 +1000, ruscook wrote:
> > Gabe,
> > my understanding is a snapshot is only able to give you a freeze on a
> > partition at a point in time and then manage changed blocks, not allow
> > it to be treated as a whole nother file system. You would need to copy
> > that snapshot to a whole new partition to have a full filesystem with
> > integrity  and then mount that partition possibly in a fake root
> > (????) - not sure how to use fake roots.
> >
> > the snapshot works as it records only changed blocks not the whole
> > file system.
> >
> > Russ
>
> Well I was think along the lines of the LVM HowTo at
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshotintro.html
>
> Where it says (amongst other things)....:
>
> "...
> This opens up many new possibilities that were not possible with LVM1's
> read-only snapshots. One example is to snapshot a volume, mount the
> snapshot, and try an experimental program that change files on that
> volume. If you don't like what it did, you can unmount the snapshot,
> remove it, and mount the original filesystem in its place.
> ..."
>
> So I was wondering if I could swap my different LVs in and out for
> snapshot volumes to try things out.

Ok, I guess in principle you're right given LVM 2 's capability - sorry
I didn't realise this.

I think however screwing around with your main root partition that way
could be asking for trouble. Wouldn't it be better to run a whole
virtual machine in something like VMware and then you can play with
almost any configuration without fear of trashing your main/operational
system?

Kind Regards Russell
www.windsorcycles.com.au
sales at windsorcycles.com.au