Problem on Starting Ubuntu

Dan layman at straitsarea.com
Mon Sep 4 03:20:57 UTC 2006

> I resized my root volume usine the partition editior on Ubuntu Live. After
> doing this, it warned me that the kernal may be corrpted.
>
> Now, when I start ubuntu, suddenly it hides its gui and prompts me to
> enter the root password for maintenence or otherwise press Ctrl+D. When I
> press Ctrl+D, Ubuntu continues to start normally. But this occures every
> time when I start Ubuntu.
>
> How should I fix this problem?
> Please send a solution. (However this is not a serious problem)
>

> Sameera Shaakunthala

I had this problem using reiserfs. You basically need to do a fsck on this
partition. For whatever reason the file system check fails at boot. Maybee
try to add the 'ro' option to the end of the kernel line in grub when you
boot? ro = read-only

You can use the ubuntu live disc, or knoppix, or another linux
installation on your system, I am not aware of a way to do this while
having the drive in question mounted ie booted into ubuntu on the
partition having the problem.

example:

fsck /dev/hda1