Dapper complete system freeze---could be 'ati' driver or epiphany browser

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 01:33:04 UTC 2006

On 9/3/06, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and sorry for the delayed
> response (I've been out of town).
>
> Tod Merley: I've made a note of all your suggestions, and will try to
> keep a LiveCD around and follow them up the next time the bug occurs.
> I'll try to get a PS/2 mouse as well if I have a chance. I have run
> memtest for half an hour or so on the machine before, and found
> nothing. I'll try running it overnight.
>
> Golfer: I might try booting an earlier kernel also.
>
> Based on bug no.55570, which is a duplicate of my bug, it seems that
> switching to the vesa driver instead of ati by editing xorg.conf might
> fix my problem. Unfortunately when I switched to vesa my monitor
> stopped working ('signal out of range'). Anyone got any help on how I
> could switch to the vesa driver successfully?
>
> I think we can see now that multiple people are experiencing this
> problem, or at least very similar problems, but my bug and its
> duplicate remain 'untriaged' in launchpad. I don't seem to be able to
> change the status of the bug with my launchpad account. Someone who
> can should confirm it.
>
> Thanks again for the helpful advice

Hi again Sean Hammond:

Concerning the "signal out of range" a thought:

1. Copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf from a working install.
2. Compair with what you have when "signal out of range" occurs (less
and vi very useful here).
3. Look specifically at the horizontal and vertical sync rates - if
the "signal out of range" xorg.conf is different make it the same and
try the results.
4. Check out the other differences.

Good Hunting!

Tod