swapping LVs about

ruscook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 3 10:22:57 UTC 2006

Gabe,
my understanding is a snapshot is only able to give you a freeze on a
partition at a point in time and then manage changed blocks, not allow
it to be treated as a whole nother file system. You would need to copy
that snapshot to a whole new partition to have a full filesystem with
integrity  and then mount that partition possibly in a fake root (????)
- not sure how to use fake roots.

the snapshot works as it records only changed blocks not the whole file
system.

Russ

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 14:24 +0100, Gabriel M Dragffy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How is it possible to, for example, take a snapshot of root and then
> mount that snapshot in place of the real root partition, to try out some
> ideas or changes? Of course when I try to unmount the root partition I
> can't! Then after this how is it possible to swap them back to get the
> original root partition back?
>
> I also have something that I don't understand. My root partition is 300M
> and has used about 170M of space. I created a 100M snapshot volume of it
> and it worked - how come it had enough space? How much space does a
> snapshot actually need, or more simply how does the snapshot work? I
> have read that excellent LVM howto, but these two points I don't fully
> understand and I don't think they are covered in more detail in the
> howto.
> Thanks a lot.
> Gabe

Kind Regards Russell