a question about usb memory

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 2 21:14:00 UTC 2006

I have a question about USB memory.
The question is why does my USB memory stick show up in the graphical
desktop, be listed when I type ls in the command line yet not be
accessed under the command line?
I ask this because when I plug my USB memory stick into my laptop port,
it clearly recognises it as a Disgo and I can find it when I look
through the folders on the Gnome desktop, when I enter a text terminal,
type cd /media, hit enter and do ls it comes up with cdrom and disgo for
the directories yet I can't do a cd /disgo as I get a "no such file or
directory" or command not found.