Problem Downloading packages for Ubuntu 6.06

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Fri Sep 1 21:25:58 UTC 2006

Holmes Banda wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed Ubuntu 6.06 on my Compaq Presarion V4000 and it working
> perfectly fine and I am able to surf the net. However, I cannot download a
> single package via the Snaptic Package Manager. I have tried several times
> and all I get is:
>
> "The following problems were found on your system:
> E: Type 'http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt' is not known on line 34 in
> source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.
> Go to the repository dialogue to correct the problem.
> E: Type 'http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt' is not known on line 34 in
> source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: Unable to lock the list director"
>
> What am I doing wrong? I desperately need kile and other packages.
>
> Regards.
>
> Holmes

Remove any wine.budgetdedicated.co repositories from your repositories
list. Then try again and hopefully it will get it from the proper Ubuntu
repository.

If you wander over to the comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine newsgroup
you'll find my post from this morning ("Ubuntu Dapper/Debian repository
broken?". Here is the post:

> I attempted to intall Wine per the instructions at:
>
> http://www.winehq.com/site/download-deb
>
> However, I found that the repository mentioned on that page:
> For Ubuntu Dapper (6.06):
> deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main
> points to a 1.3K file:
>
> http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/dists/dapper/main/binary-i386/
> Index of /apt/dists/dapper/main/binary-i386
> Icon  Name                    Last modified      Size  Description[DIR]
> Parent Directory                             -
> [   ] Packages                25-Aug-2006 08:11  4.0K
> [   ] Packages.gz             25-Aug-2006 08:11  1.3K <===
> [   ] Release                 07-Apr-2006 10:40  112
> Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) Server at wine.budgetdedicated.com Port 80
>
> Is there someplace else that I should be looking?
> [Yes I know that I can install via the Ubuntu channel]

So here is what I ended up doing:

1. Go to: http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/otherosfs/wine

2. Click on "i386" in the "Download wine" section

Download wine
Download for all available architectures Architecture	Files	Package
Size	Installed Size
i386 	[list of files] 	8578.6 	40460

this will download the files to a directory of your choice.

3. Using Places|Computer (whatever) go to the directory where you
downloaded the file (should be wine_0.9.9-0ubuntu2_i386.deb) &
doubleclick the file to install. It will tell you that there are
channels to install from, but just go ahead and install from your
downloaded file.

4. Once the file is installed you'll still need to create a .wine
directory in your home. I've found the easiest way to do this is to go
to the terminal and enter:

  $ wine /path/to/windoze/program.exe
[source: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/wine ]

wine will then create the .wine directory in your home, output errors
(that can be ignored) & from there on you should be set.