New Ubuntu Install rejects Log-in / Password

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Fri Sep 1 20:10:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 08:44 -0400, Brian Carling wrote:
> What can I do if my New Ubuntu Install rejects the
> Log-in / Password?
>
> I am literally stuck with a command prompt.
> Can I start over again somehow?
>
> Can I use a Knoppix CD?
>
> Most Linux users get FAR too technical explaining things.
> I would prefer a simple answer in relatively plain English
> please.

A default install of ubuntu should give you something called a GRUB menu
which appears a few seconds after turning your computer on. It should
appear automatically and you will be able to make different selections.
There should be at least two selections available to you.

One is probably the one you are already using and just below it should
be a copy of it but called "Recovery". Select this one with the arrow
keys and press enter to boot in to it. If you don't get this GRUB menu
you may have to press the "Esc" key when prompted a few seconds after
turning on your computer.

This SHOULD give you access to something called a root shell from which
you can do pretty much anything to fix your computer and if you're
careless enough break it too.

When you are in this, type the following command:

passwd username

You must replace username with the username of your user. It must be the
username and NOT the real/full name!! I.e. full name: John Herreney
username: johnh.

This will allow you to type a new password for that user, you will have
to do it twice. Please note that when you enter the letters for the
password they will not show on the screen at all. The cursor won't move
and nothing will be displayed, it almost looks like you aren't typing,
but you are, so don't worry. Hope that helps you a little?