vmware networking solution: vnet vs nat

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 08:24:54 UTC 2006

On 9/1/06, mojavelinux <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> Originally, this post was going to be entitled "vmware networking
> problem", but before I got to writing the post, I solved it.  I want to
> share my finding here in case they are of use to someone.
>

> Problem:
>

> I installed Windows XP Pro on vmware-player running on Ubuntu 6.06
> using the instructions from this forum and elsewhere.  Windows was
> running great, however I was having some very strange network problems.
> The most pressing issue was the inability to access a large set of
> websites.  I could access google.com, starbucks.com and basecamphq.com
> (to name a few), but could not access yahoo.com, sourceforge.net,
> adobe.com (to name a few).  I have no idea why some work and some
> don't.  The problem doesn't have to do with  bad DNS cache because I
> can ping them all.  It just seems that the data is not being pulled
> properly.  The other problem was the lack of network if linux was
> connected via wireless (eth1) rather than wired (eth0).
>

> State:
>

> My original configuration in the WindowsXPPro.vmx file regarding the
> ethernet was:
>

> ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
>
> ethernet0.vnet = "vmnet1"
>
> ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
>
> ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:ae:92:7e"
>
> ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
>

> Solution:
>

> It's all in the hand you play, regardless of how few cards you have.
> Fixing the issue came down to disabling the "vnet" and enabling "nat".
> The difference is that with vnet, the guest system will grab a new IP
> address from the router and show up as a seperate computer in the
> network, whereas nat will piggy back on the host's connection.  In my
> case, this is exactly what I wanted since I am constantly switching
> between wired and wireless and don't want the guest to care how I am
> connected.
>

> My new configuration looks like:
>

> ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
>
> ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
>
> ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
>
> ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:ae:92:7e"
>
> ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
>

> I will leave it up to the discussion in this thread to figure out what
> the heck is going wrong with the vnet connection.
>

> --
> mojavelinux

Hi mojavelinux!

I do not have VMware player but look here since it is something I
intended to get into in the future.

If I were going to troubleshoot the problem I would download the
Windows version of tcpdump and capture the traffic on the "virtual
Ethernet" from XP run within the player.  I would set it to capture
packets of unlimited size.  Ethereal can then be used to look at the
network traffic and perhaps see why access is not occurring.

It would be an interesting experiment!

Glad you found a solution!

Tod