Restore Dapper after Edgy

arndalebilo arndalebilo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 19:44:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:46:44 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Saturday 28 October 2006 21:11, NoOp wrote:
>>> So my question then would be; why is openoffice an integral part to the
>>> ubuntu desktop?  For instance, if you install the ubuntu desktop package
>>> in Synaptics it will show that it is installing the above openoffice.org
>>> files. Again, this seems to be the IE to Microsoft situation.
>>
>> Thought I'd comment on just this section - ubuntu-desktop is a
>> meta-package.  If you install ubuntu-desktop you get Open Office.
>> That does not however mean that ubuntu requires Open Office, just that
>> the 'official original setup' contained open office.   Removing that
>> package removes no software.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> Thanks.
>
> So if one wanted to uninstall all instances of OpenOffice in Ubuntu
> (Dapper or Edgy) what would be the best way to go about it?
>
> From Synaptics if I select uninstall openoffice.org Synaptics pops up with:
>
> Mark additional required changes
>   To be removed
>     ubuntu-desktop
>
> If I select openoffice.org-base I get
>   To be removed
>     openoffice.org
>     openoffice.org-evolution
>     ubuntu-desktop
>
> If I select openoffice.org-common
>   To be removed lists multiple OOo files as well as python-uno,
> thunderbird-local-en-gb, language-support-en, and ubuntu-desktop
>
> Ditto for openoffice.org-core
>
> From the above it seems that OpenOffice cannot be uninstalled from
> Ubuntu without also removing ubuntu-desktop.

Remove ubuntu-desktop first.  It's a dependency package designed to ensure
that things like open office are installed with all dependencies satisfied.
Removing it shouldn't take out anything else.  Then you can remove things
it depends on like Ooo.

In theory you can put things back as they were by reinstalling
ubuntu-desktop.

That worked for me when I wanted to get rid of all the
x-screensavers and their annoying menu entries in Xfce.

"The Ubuntu desktop system
This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu desktop system

It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop system
packages are not desired.  However, it is recommended that you keep
it installed, because it is used to carry out certain upgrade
transitions (such as adding new packages to the system)."