Start X window problem

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Oct 31 15:07:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:32:48PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Ubuntu-6.06.1-LAMP-server-amd64
>
> I have xserver-xorg and xfce4 installed.  But could not start X.
>
> $ startx
> Fatal server error
> Coud not open default font 'fixed'

[xorg log snippets]

> Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/, removing
> from list!

You do not have the xfonts-base package installed, apparently.

> Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing
> from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing
> from list!

...(from earlier)...

> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

And many other X packages are missing as well.

> Please advise how to fix the problem.  How to install font files?

I would suggest you to apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, (or the
appropriate xubuntu metapackage).  It will pull in all the packages
necessary for a complete X setup.

If you think ubuntu-desktop/xubuntu-desktop will pull in too many
packages you do not desire, try just apt-get install xorg.

Marius Gedminas
--
MCSE == Must Consult Someone Experienced