Dapper to Edgy upgrade successful

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Tue Oct 31 03:42:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 08:47 +0530, YAGNESH N DESAI wrote:

> I wonder why ubuntu have Edgy, As Dapper is suppose to be LTS
> (Long Term Support)
> I thought it implies that all the upgrades in Dapper should be
> equivalent to Edgy.

Updates yes, upgrades or changes in architecture: no. :)  Some
distributions work that way, i.e. they just keep perpetually offering
new packages.

Ubuntu is not run that way, they prefer to set a 'baseline' of
particular packages and versions, then 6 months later release a new
baseline version.  I think this way makes support easier, and it's more
transparent to everyone involved.

I think you do have a good point though: Dapper users WILL want version
updates when they are major.  For example: Firefox 2.0.

This is where the 'backports' repository comes in.  From this
repository, new versions can be installed into Dapper.

> Did I make mistake by installating "dapper drake LTS" rather than Edgy
> I fell for the "LTS". What's the difference can anyone elaborate?

No.  I run Dapper and I'm very happy with it.   LTS means 'Long Term
Support'.   This does not however make  a whole lot of difference to
home / hobby users.   It's VERY important in the business world though.

(But as you liked 'LTS', without even knowing what it meant, I am now
considering adding that to my own company's products. :-)   Kind of like
buying a car that has 'GT' added to the badge and trendy upholstery, but
no significant technical changes. :-)

Seriously, assuming I can keep it updated with Firefox 2.0, and any new
versions of other key applications such as OpenOffice and Evolution then
I really don't want Edgy.

I like new sexy stuff as much as the next guy, but for me Edgy just
isn't sexy enough.   (Oops, I mean, I will stay faithful to Dapper. :)

Cheers,
Chanchao