Send email from the command line (Konsole)

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Oct 30 18:02:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 08:53:49PM +0300, OOzy Pal wrote:
> Guys/Gals,
>
> I really got addicted to the command line and sometime I need to send
> a quick email without firing up my Kmail or Thunderbird.
>
> How can I setup my Kubuntu to send email from the Konsole (command line)?

  $ sudo apt-get install mutt

  $ echo "Here's the file I promised to send you" | mutt -s "Subject" \
         -a attachment.zip recipient at example.com

Alternatively you could apt-get install the traditional mailx, but it
is not as featureful as Mutt.  Which is also an interactive text-mode
mail reader.

Uh, I just realized that you will also need a local mail transport
agent, e.g. Postfix, or SSMTP.  sudo apt-get install postfix, then
answer the debconf questions.

Marius Gedminas
--
There is an almost obvious extension of interfaces that would allow formal
specification of arguments and return values.  We suspect it leads to the dark