Dapper to Edy upgrade successful

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 20:23:12 UTC 2006

I upgraded Dapper to Edgy on a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop. It went quite
smoothly. I just changed "dapper" with "edgy" in /etc/apt/sources.list
file and did 'sudo apt-get update' and then 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'.
It wanted to download about 800MB of data and wanted to remove some
packages (imake, some python package, which I really didn't need, but
some of them being replaced with newer ones). That took 2~3 hours; this
was the day after Edgy was releazed, all the mirrors were hammered and I
ended up using some mirror in Europe to get decent speed. After that the
installation of the new packages and configuring went smoothly.
Rebooting into 2.6.17 gave the new kernel.

Network-manager was running before and the wireless card was working
pretty nicely. After the upgrade in Gnome 2.16, it was working even
better ... well, the GUI was.

Edgy seems to boot up faster, desktop loads definitely faster. The
laptop is a dual boot laptop, and booting in Ubuntu is a better
experience than booting into Windows XP Professional.

Great release, this Edgy Eft.

Just wanted to share this info with others.
->HS