Dual Core / Dual Processor AMD

ruscook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 27 02:45:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 08:35 +1000, Peter Clutton wrote:

> On 10/27/06, ruscook <ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>         I'm 1/2way through setting up my new dual core system and it
>         flies!!! I'm vERY impressed with this. VMware feels damn close
>         to native speed AND you can do things in the host OS because
>         of the multiple cores. I've got a few troubles with ings like
>         GEDIT etc. but I think that's due to the new installation not
>         particularly the dual-core.
>

>         On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 08:35 +1000, Peter Clutton wrote:
>
>         >
>         > > On 10/24/06, Peter Clutton <peterclutton at gmail.com> wrote:
>         > > > Hi, I'm about to purchase a new workstatioin just for ubuntu and had a
>         > > > question about smp support and benefits. Would appreciate any tips or
>         > > > pointers to other information.
>

> Thanks again, great to hear from someone else in Oz using ubuntu
> aswell. Guess the 2.4 Opteron Dual core will beat the pants off the
> 2.8 single core i was going to get, for the things i'll be doing. Mmm
> new opteron workstation running Edgy, can't wait!

No worries. I've been using since warty and edgy for the last 3 months.
The new machine just flies at processing. It's only a 2.2GHz Dual-core
AMD running the std, generic kernel (Linux too2 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP
Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux). But compared to my old
single core 2GHz Athlon it's amazing. When I get the rest of my apps off
the old machine (configs really as rsync transferred the 200GB of data
in /home no probs overnight) then the old one becomes dual boot
win/linux unfortunately. I'm more than happy with VMware for when I have
to have window but unfortunately my daughter wants to play windows
games, use msn messenger (with the graphics and gaim isn't as pretty)
etc...

Where abouts in Oz are you?

Kind Regards Russell
www.windsorcycles.com.au