Mount a hd with ubuntu on it

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Oct 29 18:09:57 UTC 2006

Wade,

wade at wadesmart.com wrote:
> 10292006 1156 GMT-6
>
> I might note, my computer case doesnt have a lot of room. The hd has a
> single cable and power cord. The cd rom had a second slave slot and
> power cord so I plugged my second hd there. Does that make a
> difference?

Are there two cables coming from the mother board, one to the first hard
disk with a single connector and the other to the CD-ROM with two
connectors, and you've plugged the second hard disk into this spare
connector? And I'm assuming these are all IDE devices and not SATA
(i.e., big wide cables and 50-pin connectors)?

If so, then the first hard disk should be /dev/hda, the CD-ROM is likely
to be /dev/hdc and your second hard disk, if configured correctly,
should be /dev/hdd.

But you need to make sure the master/slave jumpers are set correctly on
the second hard disk. If the set-up is as above, then set the jumpers to
slave.

If you think you have that all correct, then go into the BIOS and see
what the BIOS has detected.

And if that all looks OK, boot up Ubuntu and run the disk manager
(System->Disks on Gnome) and it will show you what disks are present.

And if the disk is there, you can mount it using:

	sudo mount /dev/hdd /mnt

cd to /mnt and you will see the contents of the disk.

HTH.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold