Mount a hd with ubuntu on it

Peter N. Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 29 17:41:43 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 10:24 -0700, wade at wadesmart.com wrote:
> 10292006 1119 GMT-6
>
> I have a new 200GB hd installed with 6.06LTS.
> I want to get my data off of my old 40GB hd that has 5.10 on it.
> I just want my files from /home.
> Im reading the wiki on mounting.
> Im not clear on how to do this.
> A second hd would be hdb?
>
> wade

Wade,

Try opening a terminal and typing in fdisk -l at the prompt as sudo.
That will list the drives the system sees. If the new drive shows up
(you can tell by the capacity it shows), jot down the hd designation,
then as sudo at the prompt, type   mount /dev/hdxx   where hdxx is the
designation you found. If this works, then you may have to
edit /etc/fstab to include the new drive available to the system.

Best,

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter