linux Kernel

Phill MV hiffyness at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 17:32:02 UTC 2006

The kernel, in computer science terms, is the program that essentially runs
your computer. It provides the environment in which your other programs run
in by acting as an intermediary between your software and your hardware. It
allows your programs to write to disk, to access memory, to use other
hardware (be it a graphics card or an ethernet card) and (good kernels at
least) also allow programs to coexist peacefully.

Wikipedia kernel for more info.

Under linux, it's exact location varies from distro to distro. In gentoo it
resides in /boot; in ubuntu I'm not sure; it's usually in a file named
bzImage that, when you turn on your computer, is amongst the first thing to
load into your computer's memory.

You can obtain the linux source code files from www.kernel.org.