after dapper->edgy on dell latitude l400: system keeps suspending after 5 secs

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 11:28:42 UTC 2006

Hi,

I upgraded last night from dapper to edgy.  I wen through various nasty
hurdles with dependencies, but that all seems fine now.  That bit was my
fault due to not running dist-upgrade with "-u" switch or using aptitude.

The real problem is that now, when I boot up, the laptop suspends (or is
that hibernates I'm unsure) without being told to.  I power it up again and
it waits about 5-10 seconds and suspends again.  I end up in a cycle trying
to get it to reboot between suspends.

If I boot via recovery mode boot config and then exit shell to continue
booting, this mostly doesn't happen (though it sometimes does).  All then
seems to work eventually.  The syslog shows multiple messages about

	Freezing cpus ....
	Stopping tasks =========

	...lots of stuff...
	Thawing cpus

Other less important issues are that my boot sequence is now completely
blank (which makes the above problem a bit harder to spot) and the
gnome-settings-daemon crashing or failing to start.  However, I'm more
interested in the above problem just now.

Thanks for any help,
Gavin