Restore Dapper after Edgy

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Fri Oct 27 15:05:31 UTC 2006

NoOp <glgxg at mfire.com> writes:

> Questions:
> 1. How to restore a Dapper system back to its basic files without
> destroying any /home user data and having to reinstall and repartition
> the disk? This seems to me to be a basic requirement of this system.

aptitude install ubuntu-desktop/dapper

> 2. How to upgrade to the next Ubuntu version without having to depend on
> ubuntu-desktop which installs seriously outdated files?

They recommend that you install ubuntu-desktop since it pulls everything
in for that release.  You're not going to get a newer version than what
ubuntu-desktop installation will pull in anyways.

> 3. Why is Dapper 6.06x 2 revisions behind OpenOffice when OOo is an
> integrated part of the OS desktop? Note: after cleaning out all of the
> Ubuntu dated files (2.0.2) OOo 2.0.4 installs and runs just fine.

Dapper is stable condition.  If Ubuntu has similar policy as Debian, the
only thing going into Dapper will be security updates.  If you really
want to install newer version, check if it is in backports.

Think about it this way.  In your case, upgrading OOo 2.0.2 to 2.0.4
broke something.  The whole idea of a release and staying is for the
stability of the system.  How is keeping the system stable if the
components get upgraded with new features?  If I wanted new features, I
should have upgraded to the next version or enabled the backports
repositories.

--
John L. Fjellstad