PLF 3rd party repos ( was Re: Aptitude update..)

Jon Dixon dixon.jon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 14:55:45 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 10:43 -0400, Richard wrote:
> is there a step by step guide (ubuntu-ish) on how to compile a
> application,
> and install it.. ( however) isn't true, if there a update, ubuntu
> updater,
> will NOT recognize that software to update, since it not on the
> LIST...????

For a guide to compilation, try the wiki, or ubuntuforums.org; I am
fortunate not to have to use them so often so I can't give direct links
- sorry...

With respect to updates, libdvdcss hasn't seen an upgrade in a long time
IIRC. You can check version info at www.videolan.org...

One hint/tip for resolving build dependencies with any debian based
disty, is that you can do the following (for any package in the repos)

# apt-get build-dep <packagename>

HTH,

Jon