How can one say Linux is $-free . . . ?

YAGNESH N DESAI ynd at hzw.ltindia.com
Fri Oct 27 07:07:57 UTC 2006

COOL . . ..

17 replies overnight, I could not have asked for more.

"Free" the meaning I learnt from many places and then just after installing ubuntu
when I wanted to play me mp3 files, I enhanced my understanding and now I am trying
get involved in OpenDWG.org for the open CAD file format.

I am from Gujarat in INDIA where "Free as in Beer" makes me upset as consuming Beer
is not legal (yes its breaking the law if I drink beer here), thats what I have to add
to the cultural difference on the phrase "Free as in speach and Free as in Beer"

One thing that you all have missed is that I am strugling with my internet connection
on ubuntu. (Refer my earlier posts, I have it on my laptop all the phone connections
with me are CDMA wireless and also a PCMCIA card with CDMA X1 which is not working).

So ubuntu on a stand alone laptop is like only OS no applications (all water no food).
Though in those 40hrs I did manage to make XMMS up on my offline laptop. Its hell
lot of effort to collect these libs and install any software on debian based Linux which
is offline. How I did it is at http://desaiyn.tripod.com/laptop/ubuntu_on_thinkpad_R52.html

In 1998 also I tried Linux and at that point in time the linux was RedHAT in India while
its GUI never went up on my pc. Also India did not have good internet facilities hence i had to
"force Quit" Linux. This time i have another problem the CDMA connections which are mobile
state of art are not supported by Linux but the beter part is that ubuntu went up on my
laptop by just asking a username and password.

I now find that 40hr and more is "Investment" rather than a "PAYMENT"

I have got lot of resources to look into and learn and hence thank you from the bottom
of my heart.

Due to this offline problem, I might have to get other Distro of Linux
may be Mepis (where 3 extra CDs give away all other applications on CDs).
I am also trying for OpenSuSE & Fedoracore 6 before making final decision.

bye for now

Yagnesh