How can one say Linux is $-free . . . ?

Nikolai psalmos at swissinfo.org
Fri Oct 27 00:56:02 UTC 2006

H.S. wrote:

> The two phrases (free speech, free beer) are required
> because of, I assume, absence of a word in the English language which
> means "really free". I point this out because depending on the cultural
> background of a person, "free as in beer" may not mean much.

This is so true :-)
The first time I heard/read "free as in beer" I couldn't figure out what
that meant. In Russian, explanations such as the one with beer example
are unnecessary for we have a word describing the concept of free
software, although I have to admit we don't have anything similar to the
English word "software" (program is used instead).

Nikolai
--
the truth shall make you free