sound

Johan Ramm-Ericson ubuntu at ramm-ericson.se
Thu Oct 26 06:51:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, October 26, 2006 John Dangler wrote:
> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:41:22 -0400
> From: John Dangler <jdangler at atlantic.net>
> Subject: sound
> To: Ubuntu User List <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Since I removed totem from both of my ubuntu dapper installations (in
favor of gxine) the sound on both my machines has completely gone. As I
used to have gentoo on these boxes, I went to alsa.org to review the
setup and config of alsa.  None of the config files for alsa are
contained in the ubuntu installation (at least none that I can find).
Someone from the list suggested re-installing totem, but unfortunately
that didn't help anything.

> Can someone enlighten me as to how sound is configured in ubuntu, and
possibly direct me in how to restore it without just installing,
compiling and configuring alsa from scratch?
> lsmod | grep snd produces this on the desktop:
> snip... <
> the terminal bellworks in both machines, and sound is activated through
the gnome desktop on both machines.

Sorry, did I read that right? Are you saying that you have working sound
(i.e. the "login chime") as you are logging in? If that is the case, your
sound is working and everything is installed and configured correctly -
what you are having trouble with is the sound settings in the desktop
profile for your user account.

So, _if_ I understood you correctly, I would like you to check the speaker
icon on the top panel of your desktop (you are running Gnome, right?).
Also, taking a look at Preferences -> Sound may also find the source of
the problem.

HTH,
Johan R-E