Today's updates break gnome in edgy

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Oct 25 15:46:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 04:27:11PM +0200, Eduard Grebe wrote:
> After running software update today (first time since Monday, I think) my
> gnome session is broken. It hangs after login, even when selecting the
> 'failsafe gnome' session. It was working fine before the updates. Also, my
> Xfce and KDE sessions work fine. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

Happened to me once, lately.  A bunch of GNOME processess did not exit
after I logged out, and newly started GNOME session wouldn't work.  I
didn't realize it was caused by an upgrade (probably dbus?), but that
makes sense.

I did a Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in into the text console, killall -u $LOGNAME,
logout, and then I could log into GNOME.  I'm sure a reboot would also
have helped.

> I run edgy on powerpc.

Regular old x86 here.

Marius Gedminas