Making spool directory 01777 in order to get email

Peter N. Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 25 13:04:55 UTC 2006

Folks,

How do I go about making my /var/spool/mail directory mode 01777? For
some reason, after downloading email this morning, I started getting an
error message with Thunderbird saying it couldn't create a ~.lock file
in /var/spool/mail, and that on some systems movemail wanted the
directory in mode 01777. This looks like too many digits for chmod to
handle, so I suspect something else is required. And, if anyone has any
insights, why would this change on a digital whim? I was able to
download my first morning batch of email with no trouble...

With best regards,

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter