Radeon 9250 in Ubuntu

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Oct 24 19:30:37 UTC 2006

smithveg <smithveg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm.. Thank to your reply, I will try google earth. Can the google earth
> tell me this?
> tell me i have 3d accelerator, because i never use google earth before. And
> i also don't know what is the purpose for me to use it.

You can find googleearth there:

http://earth.google.com/

Google Earth lets you watch any point of the earth under any angle, as
such it won't "tell you" if 3D is working, but since it won't run
"smoothly" without accelerated 3D, it serves as a test.

> How about you? you

I like watching where all my friends around the world leave, it's just
cool :o)

> Check your girl friends house? :P

If you please then yes... although I disagree with spying in general ;-)

Anyway, as we have already seen thanks to glxinfo, accelerated 3D IS
working on your machine, so this question is already answered.
That being said, ultimately there is only one test for 3D... YOU. That
is, you don't want 3D for the sake of telling your friends you have 3D.
Presumably, you want 3D because there is a particular application of
interest to you, that needs accelerated 3D in order to run
satisfactorily (game, CAD, animation/3D rendering, whatever). So, the
only valid test, for YOU, is to test this application, whatever it is !
In my case, I want to run X-Plane, and regardless of driver
(proprietary or free), the performance of the Radeon 9250 just isn't
good enough. So, my test failed, despite 3D is indeed working, and I
must consider buying a more modern card, or a more modern computer
altogether, this needs to be defined.

--
Vince