Back to Windows...

Dave M DaveM at Mich.Com
Tue Oct 24 14:46:46 UTC 2006

At 01:05 PM 10/23/2006 , Steve Tripp wrote:
>Being offended just means you are operating in a free society.  People are
>offensive by nature.

Amen brother!

This I believe -> Be an equal opportunity offender!

I find sigs professing religious beliefs to be quite offensive. The most
deadly thing throughout recorded western history has been religion.
Especially those patriarchal verities that evolved out of the various
tribal wars in the middle east.

But I quietly wince and move on. Because it is only through the sharing of
offensive ideas that we can come to understand just how narrow minded we
humans can be. And an offensive idea here and there can sometimes serve to
enlighten.

A world where offensive ideas are suppressed (by force or social pressure)
would be a very dark place. So let us not fear being offensive, and let us
have the wisdom to just ignore those of us who are offensive and move on.

But back to the topic - Windows? NEVER AGAIN!!

Whatever problems I have had with Linux, they are nothing like the mess
that is Microsoft. Bill Gates has wasted way too much of my time!

And backups - never use proprietary formats or proprietary media to do
backups of valuable data. Not even in Windows. It only takes a few years
for some of this technology to become defunct, leaving your valuable data
trapped in proprietary prison forevermore. I worry that todays history will
look like a black hole. Too many of the backups will be unreadable!

And what ever technology you choose to use to do a backup, be sure to test
it. Be sure that you are able to do a restore from your backups. Do not
wait until you need to restore something to find out that you cant.

Dave M
Davem (at) Mich (dot) Com
Ann Arbor, Mich. USA

Inter-networked computers give you freedom.
The "Trusted Computing Platform" could take that freedom away.
http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/trusted_computing/20031001_tc.php